I’ve been using the Wealthy Affiliate platform for some time now – mainly for hosting of various websites. But there’s so much more you can do there. Today I want to share with you: How to create an online tutorial and get paid to do it.
Everyone has knowledge to share
We live in a collaborative world where information sharing is second nature to us all. We all have something to share and creating an online tutorial for your own website, or within a like-minded online community, is a great way of positioning yourself as an authority within your niche.
People share their knowledge and experiences in a huge range of niches; including travel, sports, hobbies, arts, crafts, IT, computing, writing, websites and much more.
Sharing via YouTube, blog posts, websites, not to mention the huge sharing power of social media such as twitter, Linkedin and Facebook, mean that tutorials you create have the potential to reach a global audience.
If you have a blog, personal or business website, then it’s likely that at some point, you may want to create a HOW TO guide or tutorial at some stage, whether that is to solve a problem for your website visitors, or to educate them about a product or service you provide.
Long courses are out. Short and sharp training is in.
Encyclopedias are out and Mr Google is in. These days you don’t see masses of people rushing to find out answers in their local library. The answer is now only a key strokes away.
How many times have you been in a social social situation where someone has asked a question, and everyone has reached for their mobile to be the first to find the answer? Too many times to count?
We are the era of humans who have been bought up with technology, we expect to find the answer quickly, regardless of the question and how obscure it might be!
In fact, here are some of the most common website searches of recent times…
- How do I find out my IP address?
- Why does my computer keep freezing?
- What would happen if the earth stopped spinning?
- What is a boyfriend and where can I download one?
- Why I should never put it in writing
- How do I know if I am blacklisted on Facebook?
- Why does my cat attack me?
As you can see, people are searching for solutions to small and specific problems, in that moment..
Tutorials are a fantastic way of capitalizing on these keyword search phrases, to provide the answers your readers are looking for.
You don’t need to create an epic novel when building a tutorial. Keep your subject matter very focused and to the point. People tend to digest information better when it’s broken down into small, practical chunks.
Tutorial Creation Tools
A quick search of google for Free Tutorial Creation Software will yield a phenomenal number of results, for both free and paid tools and apps.
The beauty of using tutorial creation tools is that often they will come with templates to help you set out your training quickly and efficiently.. They will also include a mechanism for you to publish your tutorial and share the information with your peers, readers and the world.
Cloud based subscription style solutions are also gaining in popularity because of the low entry cost and convenience of working with a platform that is mobile and can be accessed from anywhere. This is particularly useful for businesses who need to create training and tutorials for staff based in various locations. Examples of this include Lessonly and Madcap Software.
The Wealthy Affiliate (WA) membership site offers an amazing array training, resources and tools for its members. As part of the premium membership, we can create an unlimited number of tutorials absolutely free. In fact, we are encouraged to share our expertise within the other members on the site as they have a real culture of paying it forward. The fantastic thing about this, is that you can search for the answer for just about anything to do with affiliate marketing, website creation and design, social media tools, how to do this or that… and you can quickly access a current and relevant resource to help find the solution to whatever problem you are trying to solve.
Making money from creation of Tutorials
There are various ways to make money from the creation of tutorials.
If you are an expert in your niche or profession, you may be among the sought after few who is contracted directly or even employed to write tutorials and training material. I have been employed in a number of roles in the past where we have needed to develop and deliver training to our staff. Some organizations have built in ‘process mapping’ software which is a good way to document standard operating procedures and use these to train staff; but in other cases, I have reached for tutorial creation tools like Lessonly to meet this need.
If tutorial creation is not part of your employment or a contract, there are still ways you can monetize tutorials that you make.
Some examples of these include:
- Monetize your tutorial with Adsense; Create a tutorial to solve a problem which is highly searched on the internet and monetize your tutorial page through placement of Adsense adverts on your tutorials page
- Create a course on a platform like LearnDash then sell access to your course. This works well if you are well-established in your niche and you have an existing mailing list where you can market your training and tutorials
- Turn your tutorial into an e-book and sell it on Amazon
- Build and promote tutorials for membership sites: Create a tutorial for a membership based site like Wealthy Affiliate, where you can earn credits and extra revenue for developing training and solutions that their members want.
Test driving the Tutorial Creation tools at Wealthy Affiliate
Recently I created a short tutorial on Wealthy Affiliate to solve a common problem that I, and other members, encounter:
“Do your banners ads look like you’ve just PLONKED them on your page?
You don’t have to be a programmer to get the result you want!”
The WA platform is really quick and easy to use, and enabled me to create a short tutorial in just half an hour which I have been able to share quickly and easily. Feel free to check out the tutorial I created here.
The more popular my tutorial is, the more I will earn from WA for creating this training. It’s a great way for members to share their knowledge and earn a few extra dollars here and there in the process.
Tutorials can also be an excellent way to increase your emailing list or generate leads. For example; All the content at WA is indexed and searchable by google. That means that anyone online could be searching for the solution and find my tutorial.
- Tutorials need to be short and to the point. People are looking for quick and simple answers to their specific problems
- Focus on subject matter you are familiar with and pay it forward by sharing your knowledge with others in your online community, website or blog
- Do your homework about what tutorial creation software is right for you, your blog or business. This will come down to your intended audience
- Tutorials are a great way for writers in any niche to generate additional income online!
Find out more
If you found this article interesting, I’d love to hear from you. If you’ve got a question – get in touch using the comments section below, or contact me at Wealthy Affiliate via my profile here.