There are many online articles about how to increase traffic for your website for free, however some strategies fail to connect your product or service with the right people. There’s little point spending time and effort on increasing website traffic if that traffic is of low quality, this won’t improve your bottom line at all. It is much more effected to focus on how to attract targeted visitors to your website – those visitors are the people who want what you have to offer!
What’s the difference between low and high quality website traffic?
- Traffic gained through traffic exchange programs, such as 2leep.com, Profitclicking, MGID, Zaparena, Wahoha etc are a big no-no in Google’s eyes. It might seem like a quick and easy way to get loads of traffic, but if you have an AdSense account, you are likely to risk having your account suspended.
- Any pay to click, paid to surf program traffic is automatically considered of low quality
- Purchasing automated traffic or impressions by bots – can result in a high bounce rate (high is not good) and little business for you.
- Traffic generated through website searches where people are looking for your product or service. This is considered organic traffic and is highly desired among bloggers and website owners.
- Referral traffic from social media sites such as Facebook, Linkedin, Twitter etc, as long as the referral has come from a related tweet or post. (again, there are ways that this can be misused so care is needed)
- Website traffic from your target geographic/demograph. For example if you are selling a product only available in Canada, there’s no point generating a heap of traffic from China.
Top Ways To Attract Targeted Visitors To Your Website
It all starts with a product/service or niche and quality content that your intended audience is looking for. Use a writing style that will resonate with your audience, pay attention to layout, formatting and editing of your posts. Don’t underestimate the value of humor (where appropriate), or the use of eye catching images throughout your site.
That said, here are my top traffic generating strategies. I use a combination of all of these strategies and tools for my websites with excellent results.
Be an active contributor on your site
- Keep your content fresh and commit to posting regularly
- Invite & respond to Feedback & Comments
- Ensure website is Search Engine friendly
- Implement a SEO strategy
- Research and use high traffic / low competition ‘long tail’ keywords
Use Social Media
For Social Media, I focus on;
Your approach will depend on who your intended audience is. Choose carefully and have a strategy otherwise you can easily end up wasting a lot of time for little result!
- Build a List
- Share latest posts via email
- Send a regular E-Newsletters
- Get your audience involved
Participate in Online communities
- eg: HubPages, Facebook/Linkedin Groups etc.
- Forums related to your niche/service/product
Build back links
- Write Guest Blogs & Articles
- Listings in related directories
- Link swapping with related and complimentary websites
Connect & build relationships in real life (IRL)
- Attend industry conferences
- Workshops / meetings / events
- Share your business card, make meaningful connections and followup!
Have Your Say…
Obviously this list is not exhaustive by any stretch! These are just a few strategies that I use to increase the traffic to my website, which have worked well for me.
Please feel free to share your ideas. If you have ideas on traffic creating strategies that my readers will find useful, we’d love to hear from you. Get in touch using the comments section below, or contact me at Wealthy Affiliate via my profile here.